Sunday, May 4, 2008

Mother’s Day: The Hardest Holiday of the Year

Mother’s Day is the most difficult holiday of the year for me as the focus is completely on mothers. The other holidays are hard too, but there are alternatives to focus on; For Christmas I focus on the birth of Christ and for Easter I focus on the resurrection. Mother’s Day, well – there is only one focus…mothers. I am painfully aware on that day of what I am not and do not have. It is hard not to be filled with bitterness and envy of what other women have that comes so seemingly easy to them. I have a distorted perception of every other woman in the world easily becoming a mother through birth or adoption. Other adoptions seem to go flawlessly, in my eyes, as ours was the epitome of what others pray doesn’t happen to them. I realize these are irrational thoughts and that others do not have an easy journey to motherhood and I am not alone. However, it certainly feels like the loneliest place on earth when it is you longing to be a mother…especially on Mother’s Day.

A friend of mine recently invited me to her daughter’s Communion. I feel like a real loser – I never even responded to the invitation! It is like I just can’t deal with it at all…so I avoid it altogether. I don’t want to have to make the phone call explaining why we can’t come. I don’t want to be pitied or seen as pathetic for not being able to socialize. Yet, I hope my friends understand and do not judge us for our inability to face the social situations which feel like torture for us. We are not trying to be selfish; we are attempting self-preservation. Only those who have walked in these shoes can understand how emotionally exhausting such social situations can be. You dread the questions:

“Have you tried…”
“Why don’t you just adopt from Africa?”
“Why didn’t you try to adopt from the US?”
“What are you going to do now?”

And then there are the standard comments and stories:

“I know a friend of a friend that got pregnant right after they adopted.”
“It is so sad that all these unfit women can get pregnant when they blink and yet people like you and Joe can’t.”
“Maybe it’s stress or _____________.”
“I read somewhere that ___________________.”

Now, needless to say everyone will advise you that these folks are just trying to be nice. Yes, that is why we grit our teeth and smile and nod graciously. All the while it is using up every ounce of our emotional and psychic energy to keep this front up. Imagine keeping that up for five to six hours and you will understand why these events are so difficult.

Then there are people who feel you just won’t be happy no matter what they say or do. Perhaps they are right. They don’t know if they should ask or say nothing. They fear if they don’t ask anything we will think they don’t care. I have found the best thing to say is “If there is anything I can do I am here” or “Please know that I am here to listen if you need to talk.” These comments mean the world to us.

I am curious if we are the exception to the rule on the issue of socializing. Has anyone else found that they prefer being alone and avoid social situations?


5 comments:

The Heinrichs said...

Dawn I am right there with you when it comes to social situations. Tonight I went to a pampered chef party and I never would have went had Brent not been out of town but I went with my sister in law and her new baby, then had to face all my cousins kids and then her friend and her new baby. It is even harder when it is a child or mother/father focused or honoring event. And those darn comments about pregnancy and adoption leave me holding my fist tightly at my side instead of knocking them out!
I actually have a girl friend who has a child and now has secondary infertility and she is going through all the same withdrawl and social issues I did with infertility and now adoption....so we are not abnormal...we are just willing to talk about it!

Stacy said...

You are TOTALLY not alone. I've lost friends over the past two years because they can't understand me. It's not that I don't want to socialize with them, it's just that I physically can't bring myself to enjoy playing with their children anymore. And it has nothing to do with if your child was born in Guatemala (as one friend insinuated), it has everything to do with ME.
I don't go to baby showers at work unless I have to throw them. And even then, I try to avoid as much of the festivity (especially the "surprise" moment) as I can. "No one wants the bitter infertile failed adopter to bring the party down."
M-Day 2006, when it was clear we were stuck in a horrible nightmare, we went to Hooters for dinner. Friends thought it was to make Doug happy, but we knew it was so that we wouldn't have to see the other happy families celebrating Mom's special day.
We avoid places and events that may "trigger" me. I'm better at seeing that what happened had nothing to do with ME and had everything to do with the unethical creeps I hired (not realizing how terrible they were until the nightmare started).
I'm a year further along the healing process than you are, but I have to admit that it hasn't gotten easier. The pain is still there, all the time, but it's now just a dull ache and not the stabbing misery it once was. I'm back to wearing makeup every day (no use putting it on when you know you're going to cry it off in ten minutes), and I hardly ever run to the bathroom at work to cry in private (but I still do it occasionally).
And those comments. I wish I had a dime every time I heard one of them. I'd be able to fund my REAL adoption! (Especially the "what are you going to do now" one. Even reporters ask me that and I have to tell them that I will not reveal my plan for fear that the director of my old agency will find out and sabotage me. She's probably reading this blog right now...

John & Michelle said...

My husband and I are "waiting in line" for our daughter from China (LID 3/8/07)! I wish I had never told anyone about our exciting journey to China. Coworkers/family never run out of questions. Most are supportive, but the constant stream of when??? drives me crazy.

Just 4 weeks ago, our social worker told us about a birthmom that was looking for a family to take her baby girl. We were both excited but scared. We drove 6.5 hours to meet the BM and her parents. She was kind and open on the phone. During our meeeting, it was aparent that her parents wanted her to give up the baby and not her own will. She has already lost 2 girls to the "system". It was the most overwhelming, sad day I have ever been through. It was hard on both of us. She decided she would keep the baby the day after she was born. We got the call on Thursday before Mother's Day.

I have never felt so much pain in all my life. This is the first blog I have found where someone might understant how I am feeling. I know she isn't our baby, but I am longing for her. I feel numb inside.

Today it feels like China will never come and we still owe so much money and we also are broke. Thanks for letting me vent!

Unknown said...

We have one son. Only children run rampant on all branches of my family tree. I can only empathize to a small degree what it must be like to not be able to conceive, but it was not our choice to have 'one.'

I have always abhorred Mother's Day for oh so many reasons. Every year I ask God for grace and mercy -- and the composure to not scream!

My heart is with those who struggle each year.
Many Blessings,
Grace

fuzzandfuzzlet said...

Dawn,

I don`t think your perception is wrong. In fact you HAVE been through more than most and come away with less.